Thursday, January 6, 2011

Starting over


A new year. A new blog.

I have clearly done a terrible job keeping up with this and so much has happened in our lives.

A little more than a year ago, Brandon and I got the biggest surprise we've ever had! After years of dreaming about adoption and a full year of actively pursuing this, we found out that we were pregnant. Shocking! It is a miracle that we got pregnant (details not to be shared on the web) but clearly, this was not part of the Grissom plan. I was instantly vomiting and cried tears of sadness and confusion. I was not only worried about the pregnancy because of our complicated history but afraid that it would slow down the adoption process. I had been dreaming of meeting my daughter in Ethiopia and this was.....terrifying. I felt like a total idiot. I mean, I've heard about people getting pregnant during the adoption process but I've never actually met anyone. Seriously, I felt like a moron. Plus, we were making huge payments toward the adoption that would now be put 'on hold'.

I clearly remember being 16 weeks pregnant (still vomiting!) and thanking God for this pregnancy for the first time. I am embarrassed to write this but it is the truth. After fertility treatments and loss, I know how precious a pregnancy is and that adds to my embarrassment.

Two weeks later I was having some complications and had to go into the doctors office. I had an ultrasound and when the tech asked if I wanted to know the sex of the baby...I said yes! Even though Brandon wasn't with me, there was no way I could wait. He understands this about me:) When she told me that we were having a boy, I started giggling like a little girl. I don't know what came over me. I had never really wanted to be pregnant again or have a boy but this was so exciting. I left the doctors office and called Brandon about 4,000 times until he answered. I then made about 20 other phone calls to notify everyone else because this kind of news can't wait!

Then...I started to worry. When I was pregnant with Stella, I did the thing that a new mom should never do. I bought/registered for EVERYTHING in pink! For real. I had about 2 items that could be used for this baby but as always, God provides. Because of great friends and a beautiful shower, our little baby boy has everything he needs.

My pregnancy was relatively calm. I mean, I was sick/tired/hormonal/huge but no bed rest needed. Thank you God for answering prayers.

Ezra Kent Grissom was born on April 19 at 37 weeks. He weighed 8 pounds 2 ounces and the first remark made by the doctor was about how big he was:) Brandon and I were completely in AWE at how smooth this pregnancy and childbirth had gone.

We had the hardest time choosing a name. I created list after list. We texted each other name ideas...prayed....read books...and searched movie credits for something that stood out. We loved the name Ezra but hesitated because of terrible reviews from friends and family. We also liked Garrett. Brandon might say that Hank was on the list but it wasn't:) When we arrived at the hospital for the c-section (I was already in labor) we had no idea what we would name this baby. At some point late at night, we officially named him Ezra Kent and felt great about it. He is named after Brandon's Papa Kent who we highly respect.

I ADORE my little boy and from the moment he entered the world he has known my voice. He is a delightful little chunk and I can't believe he is already 8 months old.

I write this mostly for myself as I doubt that many friends/family will even see this. I'm not a great writer but it's so good to reflect. We have a lot to celebrate. 2010 turned out completely different than we had planned and I am so glad. God is good to us.

I'll have to post later about how our sweet little Stella has adjusted to being a big sis and where are hearts are with adoption.


4 comments:

Allison Smith said...

You are a great writer, because you share your real thoughts and emotions. Noting more special and meaningful than that girl! Thanks for sharing Beki. Know that the Smiths celebrate the Grissoms.

PS: I have you on a reader, so I am not a blog stalker... Just so you don't get creeper out :)

Julie Grissom said...

I loved reading your blog especially getting to a part of some of the moments you shared. I love being Ezra and Stella's Aunt Ju Ju, and really love having you and Brandon in my life! God sure is good :)

Anna said...

I love your honesty!!! Keep sharing!!!!

Jennifer said...

Hi Beki! I'm happy you started blogging again. I really enjoy reading it and seeing what's new with you all. :-)